This is a teacher position in a Provider Program for the Perth Amboy Board of Education state funded Preschool Program. Applicant will be working with a Paraprofessional in a classroom of children ages 3 – 5 years old.
This is an exempt 10 month salaried position.
- Working closely with the Director, ensure all curriculum is reviewed and approved per the Director’s schedule.
- Carry out the curriculum plans and daily activities for children.
- Supervise and guide teacher assistants.
- Learn to identify child abuse and have a clear understanding of reporting requirements and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of a child’s growth and development when working with children, recording activities, and talking with parents.
- Demonstrate, verbally and by role-modeling, a sound knowledge of good teaching practices.
- Be responsible for going into the pool to assist swim instructors and maintain staff:child ratio during swim lessons/activities.
- Mentor, coach and guide teacher assistants to work towards the YMCA mission and ensure they have a clear understanding of, and follow the four core values, leading by example.
- Prepare developmentally appropriate educational material needed to implement the daily activity.
- Support the Y’s HEPA standards by role modeling through participation in activities, snacks, & meals as well as avoiding consumption of foods & beverages during program hours that are inconsistent with HEPA standards.
- Maintain a safe, clean, pleasant physical environment conducive to optimal growth and development of children.
- Observe, record, and evaluate children’s significant behavior.
- Supervise indoor-outdoor activities and nap periods.
- Attend staff and parent meetings and contribute to the meeting.
- Meet with individual parents at least twice yearly to report on child’s progress, discuss concerns with parents and act on those concerns.
- Check on supplies and equipment and request needed items from the Director.
- Administer first aid as needed and supervise children’s personal hygiene.
- Oversee the administration of medication after receiving written permission from the parents.
- Be responsible for all daily paperwork needed to maintain state code.
- Oversee all bathroom procedures, diapering, potty training, hand washing, etc.
- Be responsible for conducting classroom staff meetings to maintain state code.
- Show a professional enthusiasm for teaching.
- Maintain current CPR & First Aid Certification.
- Be responsible for attending mandated workshops presented during “Center Shut Down” and at least two more professional days besides those mandated by the Director.
- Be responsible for any other duties requested by the Director.
- Accurately record time worked utilizing the assigned time management system or tool.
· NJ State P-3 Certification
· Knowledge of the Creative Curriculum
· Teaching Strategies Assessment
· Bilingual in Spanish and English a plus
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Normal amounts of walking, standing, sitting, running, jumping, lifting, pushing, pulling, speaking, reading, and writing. Must be able to hear, see and respond quickly to children’s needs.