Hours: M-F 6:45am-8:30am
Under the leadership and supervision of the School Age Child Care Director, Child Care Director or Site Director, the School Age Child Care Counselor will provide guidance and secure safety for all of the children in the After School Program. The School Age Child Care Counselor will implement programs designed and monitored by the Director that ensure every child has the ability to reach their fullest potential and incorporate the four core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Ensure all health and safety guidelines are strictly adhered to.
- Be a role model for children in program, ensuring they have the ability to thrive and grow.
- Assist with daily arrivals and dismissals ensuring all attendance records are accurate and notifying the School Age Child Care Director of any discrepancies.
- Responsible for equipment and supplies of the program.
- On assigned late-nights responsibilities include straightening up the room, locking all cabinets, removing lost & found items, directing parents (when needed) on how to make payment of late fees and returning sign-out sheets and necessary information to office.
- Awareness of emergency procedures and be able to implement quickly and safely as necessary.
- Report all accidents/incidents to supervisor ASAP and prepare accident form accurately and completely and submit to supervisor.
- Supervise and interact with children during activities both indoors and outside, while on trips, during walks, playing on playground, lunch time, in pool area, etc., having complete knowledge of where children are at all times.
- Implement activities for group including setting up of activities and materials necessary for program implementation.
- Participate with enthusiasm and motivate all children in group while embracing the four core values.
- Discipline children in an appropriate manner when necessary using the positive discipline guidelines.
- Meet, greet, discuss and promote program content and children with parents in a manner which reflects“Family Friendly” YMCA.
- Adhere to YMCA “House Rules”.
- Attend all mandatory department and/or YMCA trainings and meetings.
- Utilize the time and attendance system assigned to ensure time worked each day is recorded accurately.
- Some flexibility to have change of hours to reflect ½ day closings, holidays and morning care if needed.
- Must be on time for hours scheduled or find replacement for hours not able to work.During emergency closings staff are responsible to call the YMCA as soon as possible to be certain of what the program hours will be for that day and what coverage arrangements are being made.
- Prefer 18+ years of age with experience working with children in a childcare or related setting.
- Ability to demonstrate skills in games, athletics, crafts, storytelling, songs, and be able to lend guidance and motivate children in their care.
- Ability to work as part of a team with a common goal of every afterschool care participant reaching their fullest potential.
- CPR and Standard First Aid preferred – will train.
PHYSICAL REQURIEMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Normal amounts of walking, standing, sitting, running, jumping, lifting, pushing, pulling, speaking, reading, and writing found in a school age child care environment.