•We are entering PHASE 2 of our Reopening Plan and welcome our members back into our facilities.
•All branches are operating at 50% capacity.
•All memberships currently on hold will stay on hold until JUNE 1, 2021.
•All branches and pools are operating on adjusted operating schedules.
•Health and safety protocols remain in place. Face masks are required of everyone,
with the exception of swimming and participating in an outdoor fitness class.
•Until further notice, there will be no member reciprocity between YMCA branches outside of the MEWSA organization (members may still visit their choice of branch including Metuchen, Edison and South Amboy). There will be no member reciprocity at the YMCA at the Piscataway Community Center as well until further notice.
To our Members and our Community:
No one could have possibly imagined that when we closed our doors on March 16, 2020, that it would be a year before things started returning to normal. We know our members miss the all the programs they participated in prior to our closing. Based on the State's Reopening Plan and CDC guidance, we have been able to slowly reopen our facilities over the last several months.
But we were never completely shut down. Our commitment to serve our communities was stronger than ever, and the YMCA of MEWSA provided, with staff and volunteer dedication and your support, emergency child care services for frontline workers, hosted blood drives, mobilized and supported food pantries, launched Pre-K Readiness and Distance Learning Programs, and worked with local school districts to support working parents need for flexible child care and back-to-school academic support. We also began to offer outdoor and virtual fitness classes to meet the need of our community. We will be reopening in phases with the health and safety of our members and staff as the top priority when making our decisions.
The YMCA of MEWSA has made the decision, keeping our members continuing health and safety in mind, to extend the hold on your membership until June 1, 2021. Although we would love to have you back before then and we will welcome you as soon as you are ready, we want to give you ample time to feel more comfortable, take the necessary safety precautions, or partake in our outdoor offerings upon the warmer weather. Your presence is missed by all of us!
Thank you for staying with us during this time. Your support means the world to us.
Please read the information below regarding our hours of operation, protocol and what we are offering at this time.
| Expand all
Saturday & Sunday:
Saturday & Sunday
Saturday and Sunday, 7am-4pm
Your safety is our top priority. During these uncertain times, our staff team has been working diligently to prepare for your safe return to our Y facilities. We have missed you!
To ensure the safety and reduce the health risks for our staff and members as we re-open our YMCA facilities, the YMCA of MEWSA has implemented safety protocols based on CDC, state and local government, and YMCA recommended guidelines.
PLEASE NOTE: The YMCA is following CDC recommended social distancing guidelines; therefore, we will have reduced capacity within each area of the center. At times of full capacity, you may be asked to wait or return at a later time.
**Safety protocols subject to change per local authority guidelines. Please check with your local YMCA for up-to-date protocols.
| Expand all
- Members and staff are required to have their temperatures taken upon entry to any YMCA facility. Anyone with a temperature 100.4 degrees or higher will not be allowed to enter our buildings. Member temperatures are confidential and will not be kept on file by the YMCA.
- Following state and CDC guidelines, all members must wear face masks while working out inside the facilities, with the only exceptions being while swimming or participating in an outdoor fitness class.
- Please bring a mask, workout towel, and a filled bottle of water. We will not be able to store belongings at the Member Welcome Desk. Locker storage will be available as guidelines permit.
- Members will be asked to self-scan their Membership Card to allow for contactless entry.
- At this time, gym bags are limited to small draw string bags only. Bags must be kept with you during your visit. Locker Rooms will not be available to store your personal belongings at this time. Family Locker Rooms are open and available for member use (at the Metuchen branch only).
- Social distancing at membership desks.
- Plexiglas installed at YMCA membership desks.
- Lobby area furniture limited and distanced.
- Time in waiting areas minimized and member gatherings/congregation restricted.
- Signs and floor markers placed throughout our centers regarding physical distancing and access to various spaces within the Y.
- In-person transactional business will be limited. Transfer of credit card, membership card, cash transactions, etc. can be done via telephone call.
Note: The YMCA of MEWSA will follow CDC recommended social distancing guidelines, therefore, we will have reduced capacity within each area of the center. At times of full capacity, you may be asked to wait or return at a later time.
- Deep cleaning throughout the day.
- Member and staff practice elevated cleaning protocols.
- Cleaning stations installed for staff and member use, including signage with expectations.
- Locker use not available during Phase 1. Locker Rooms will become available as we enter Phase 2 beginning April 1, 2021.
- Please check with local branch on current shower availability. Showers will become more readily available as we enter Phase 2, beginning April 1, 2021.
- Saunas and steam rooms closed.
- Fitness equipment will be spaced to the extent possible.
- Cardio Equipment – use of every other piece to provide proper distancing.
- 30 minutes max on Cardio Equipment
- 60 minutes max on Wellness Floor
- Limited number of individuals on fitness floor, based on state capacity guidelines.
- All accessories removed – equipment, bands, etc.
Classes will be phased with a reduced capacity/physical distance limitations.
- Phase 1 – Classes are not yet available.
- Phase 2 – Limited class size and number of classes offered.
- Reservation system in place to attend a live class.
- 6 feet separation between members, capping classes at a set number based on room size.
- Avoid high fives, postural adjustments, walking the room.
- Instructors will announce distancing guidelines at the beginning of class, while reminding members to wipe down equipment before AND after use and to wash hands before and after class.
- Follow the DOTS – social distancing spaces (dots) identified on studio floors.
- Member social distancing required at all times.
- One swimmer per lap lane; 30 minute maximum lap time.
- All swim time by appointment only. Registration available on website.
- Ratio of staff to children is smaller – based on age and COVID-19 guidelines.
- Infant/child care will be offered at a later date.
- Child Watch Room is closed.
Available during Phase 2
- Available for use with limited access – please check schedule and make appointment through our website.
- Proper spacing and distancing.
- Clean equipment after use.
- No organized games or “pick up” basketball allowed in Phase 1.
- Eliminate non-essential physical contact and shared touched surfaces.
- Increase the use of verbal cueing or demonstrating over physical touch cues.
- Ask clients to set their own treadmill speeds and weights, and to retrieve and put away their own equipment.
- Encourage clients to bring their own towel.
- Wipe down all touched surfaces before and after use.
- 2021 Summer Camp begins on June 21, 2021.
- Limited enrollment/spots available. Staff to camper ratios required, based on licensing guidelines.
- You can register your child for YMCA Summer Camp by visiting www.ymcaofmewsa.org/camp.
We are offering group exercise classes to all of our active, full-facility members, including Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, BollyX and more. To see a complete schedule of our Group Exercise classes click here. We have also started offering select indoor fitness classes. Please check your local branch schedule for outdoor fitness classes as they become available.
In addition, all virtual group exercise classes are now open to our active, full-facility members only. Members can sign up here. Please note that members will need their barcode number located on the back of their membership swipe card to enter the virtual fitness portal. Before each virtual class, registrants will be emailed the link to join. We plan to keep offering these classes as we transition to more in-person offerings.
Outdoor group exercise classes will be available by registration only. Members must register for each individual class they would like to take.
Please only sign up for classes if you plan on attending to be respectful of others wishing to participate.
For the health and safety of our members, staff and other visitors to our facility, the YMCA has implemented new safety protocols effective upon reopening of our facilities.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
Please bring a face mask, workout towel and water bottle. Face masks are to be worn at all times with the exception of swimming in the pool and while participating in outdoor fitness classes, based on state guidelines.
WHAT I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HEALTH SCREENINGS?
For the safety and well-being of our staff, members and participants, everyone will be screened prior to entry into the facility and/or program site.
- All individuals will have their temperatures taken
- Entry will be denied if you have had any of the following in the last 14 days:
- Fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of taste or smell
- Contact with anyone diagnosed or under investigation with COVID-19, or is ill with a respiratory illness
- If you are a first responder or health care worker, did you use proper PPE when exposed to COVID-19?
- Regular temperature checks
- Face masks for all staff
- Member self-scan check-ins
- Designed for social distance
The YMCA appreciates members’ adherence to the following safety precautions during their visits.
HELP US ALL STAY SAFE
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Be ready for temperature checks
- Keep the kids at home
- Bring your own mask, towel and a filled water bottle
- Keep your distance
- Expect reduced capacity
- Remember to wipe down equipment
The YMCA of Metuchen, Edison, Woodbridge and South Amboy is committed to providing financial assistance for membership and programs. We believe that everyone deserves the right to be healthy and enjoy the benefits of Y membership and programs. The financial assistance we provide is supported by our Annual Support Campaign.
We’re a powerful association of men, women and children joined together by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of kids, promote healthy living and foster a sense of social responsibility. We believe that lasting personal and social change can only come about when we all work together to invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors. That’s why, at the Y, strengthening community is our cause.
No one is turned away because of an inability to pay
Everyone is welcomed at the YMCA and through our Financial Assistance Fund, we extend this opportunity for membership and/or program assistance to anyone who may need it.
Financial Assistance is available to members who need help paying for the full cost of our childcare, before/after school care, summer camp and programs.
We want everyone in the community to benefit from our programs and services, regardless of financial circumstance. For support with membership fees, we offer our Membership Assistance Application.
Financial assistance is available based on family income, number of household members and the availability of Y funds. It’s provided fairly and openly on a first come, first served basis.