FULL TIME Pre-K classroom
The Teacher, under the direction and coaching of the Center Director will be responsible for the class of children to which s/he has been assigned. S/he will be responsible for the planning and implementation of the curriculum, the health and safety of the children, communication with the parents and supervision of support staff. The teacher will use the philosophy of the YMCA mission, the accreditation guidelines and the four core values of character development (honesty, caring, respect, and responsibility) to develop and implement a program of the highest quality where every child has the opportunity to reach their fullest potential.
1. Work closely with the Director, ensure all curriculum is reviewed and approved per the Director’s schedule.
2. Carry out the curriculum plans and daily activities for children.
3. Ensure all health and safety guidelines are modeled and adhered to by staff and participants.
4. Supervise and guide teacher assistants.
5. Prepare developmentally appropriate educational material needed to meet New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards.
6. A minimum of 12 hours of training each year in accordance with the guidelines set forth by DCF, OOL or any other governing agency.
7. Learn to identify child abuse and have a clear understanding of reporting requirements and responsibilities.
8. Demonstrate an advanced understanding of a child’s growth and development when working with children, recording activities, and talking with parents.
9. Demonstrate, verbally and by role-modeling, a sound knowledge of good teaching practices.
10. Responsible for going into the pool to assist swim instructors and maintain staff:child ratio during swim lessons/activities.
11. Mentor, coach and guide teacher assistants to work towards the YMCA mission and ensure they have a clear understanding of, and follow the four core values, leading by example.
12. Prepare developmentally appropriate educational material needed to implement the daily activity.
13. Support the Y’s HEPA standards by role modeling through participation in activities, snacks, meals as well as avoiding consumption of foods & beverages during program hours that are inconsistent with HEPA standards.
14. Maintain a safe, clean, pleasant physical environment conducive to optimal growth and development of children.
15. Observe, record, and evaluate children’s significant behavior.
16. Supervise indoor-outdoor activities and nap periods.
17. Attend staff and parent meetings and contribute to the meeting.
18. Meet with individual parents at least twice yearly to report on child’s progress, discuss concerns with parents and act on those concerns.
19. Check on supplies and equipment and request needed items from the Director.
20. Administer first aid as needed and supervise children’s personal hygiene.
21. Oversee the administration of medication after receiving written permission from the parents.
22. Responsible for all daily paperwork needed to maintain state code.
23. Oversee all bathroom procedures, diapering, potty training, hand washing, etc.
24. Responsible for conducting classroom staff meetings to maintain state code.
25. Show a professional enthusiasm for teaching.
26. Maintain current CPR & First Aid Certification.
27. Responsible for attending mandated workshops presented during “Center Shut Down” and at least two more professional days besides those mandated by the Director.
28. Responsible for any other duties requested by the Director.
29. Accurately record time worked utilizing the assigned time management system or tool.
· AA degree, group teaching certificate issued by DCF, OOL or the NJ Register or it’s equivalent
· One year teaching experience
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Normal amounts of walking, standing, sitting, running, jumping, lifting, pushing, pulling, speaking, reading, and writing. Must be able to hear, see and respond quickly to children’s needs.
Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time nor does it cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Job descriptions should never be misconstrued as an employee contract. All employees are “at will.”