TOGETHERHOOD PROGRAM ®
ADDRESSING COMMUNITY NEEDS THROUGH VOLUNTEERISM
The YMCA of Metuchen, Edison, Woodbridge & South Amboy is committed to supporting the communities we serve through the Togetherhood® Program. The Y has established committees to identify community needs and lead projects that help our members give back and support their neighbors. This volunteer initiative is primarily focused on supporting our communities through:
- Community Support - Give back to community members who need support
- Cultural Engagement - Respect, honor and celebrate diversity that is the fabric of our communities
- Senior Outreach - Connect with seniors who often feel lonely and isolated
- Special Projects - Support events that make our community vibrant and exciting
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
Become a Committee Member
Are you looking to make a difference in your community and have ideas for service projects? Commit to attend monthly meetings, share ideas for community service projects, help plan at least four service projects in a year and recruit volunteers.
Become a Committee Chair
Would you like to lead a committee that is driving change in your community? Commit to plan, attend, and lead monthly meetings; recruit and orient committee members. With Committee support, develop a calendar of projects that engage Y membership and align with the strategic priorities of the Y.
Be a Project Volunteer
Have you been looking for an easy way to give back to your community? Become a project volunteer! All you have to do is show up and give a little bit of your time and effort.
Do you have a project that could use Togetherhood volunteers? Do you have something that a group of Y members and community participants could help with? Become a partner with us and present at a Togetherhood meeting in your community!
BENEFITS OF TOGETHERHOOD
Volunteering provides individuals with an outlet to discover their purpose and reach their potential, helps them forge strong relationships, and can improve one’s sense of self and personal well-being.
Togetherhood leverages the Y’s powerful network and purpose-driven mission to ignite people’s potential be changemakers and improve lives of those around them, contributing to a stronger and more connected society.
Rooted In The Y's Purpose
Togetherhood leverages the Y’s core purpose as the leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community. The Y helps us realize a shared vision where communities where all people achieve health, gain confidence, make connections, and feel secure at every stage of life.
Examples of how we’ve made a difference:
- Held food drives and collected, transported and distributed food to local food pantries
- Hosted blood drives to address the shortage of blood and plasma, especially during COVID-19
- Participated in Earth Day Cleanup to beautify our local parks
- Supported the Middlesex Greenway group and Middlesex County Office of Parks and Recreation with a cleanup of the "Metuchen Mile" of the Middlesex Greenway and help celebrate National Trails Day.
- Participated in National Day of Service such as cleanup of Metuchen Freedom Plaza.
- Assisted Chamber of Commerce with social events including Winter Festival/Parade, Country Fair, Restaurant Week and Memorial Day Parade.
- Assisted Metuchen Downtown Alliance with events including "Downtown Loves Dads", "Kids Take Over" and "Haunted Downtown"
JOIN US IN STRENGTHENING OUR COMMUNITY
If you are interested in serving on the Togetherhood committee or as a volunteer for one of our many year-round service projects, please contact Paul Edgcomb at email@example.com.